Friday, March 2, 2012

Bellowing Bulls

I got up this morning with the goal of taking a walk or a bike ride.  I definitely need the exercise for my winter bloated body!  I went to the library and checked out books with authors' names beginning with A, B, C, and D.  Why, you ask?  Well, just because they were there! And after all, the books are in alphabetic order on the shelves so why should I skip around with sporadic letters?  Should I continue with E, F, G and H the next time? Just wondering... And I wonder if Sarah, the librarian, noticed the alphabetical order of my books?  If so, she didn't say anything but was her usual smiling and friendly self.

Then I stopped at a city park to walk around the bog and  unknowingly scared a big long-legged bird.  Nope, don't know the name of it.  Maybe a blue heron - at least it was blue, big, and had long legs.  He certainly didn't like me getting too close because he flew to the other side of the water each time I headed his way.  Guess he got tired of that game since he flew up to a tall tree and waited for me to return to my car.  Bummer, missed a great shot since he wouldn't cooperate.  Maybe next time he'll recognize me and cooperate.  I saw a plant with what looked like tiny pine cones.

My last stop was a local trail. Yep, went by myself.  Not sure how long the trail is - maybe a couple of miles but the path goes up and down and around and through and finally ends with UP and up and up and up.  Yep, I was walking fairly fast trying to beat the predicted rain and was certainly breathing harder by the time I hit the top.


At that point the trail winds around pens with what appeared to be two HUGE "guard" bulls standing near the fence who were not at all pleased to see me walking by.  Talk about bellowing bull horns! One HUGE guy on the left of the trail and the other HUGE guy on the right each trying to warn me to stay away.  And there were only a few strips of wire to separate them from me!!  Yep, I kept moving...well, except for the time I had enough courage to stop to take a picture of one of them.....after I was a comfortable distance from him and he had moved away from the fence.  But believe me, I kept walking as soon as the camera clicked and he bellowed again.  They were CLOSE!!  And I had to walk between them!  I didn't make eye contact with either one and I certainly didn't like the slimy goop dripping out of their mouths. The others seemed content to eat their lunch.  

I just looked up the length of the trail and it's 1.5 miles.  ONLY 1.5 miles!!!  It definitely feels longer than least with the hills you have to conquer. It started sprinkling by the time I got back to my car, but it was ok because, most importantly, I was able to keep my camera dry.  

Maybe the next time I walk the trail, those bulls will be friendlier...or maybe even in another field far, far away...

No comments:

Post a Comment