Thursday, June 7, 2012

A New Gate

We were home minding our own business this morning when a man appeared in the backyard and I recognized him as the man who was making a new gate for our patio.  Nicest man you ever met!  He carried the gate in one hand and some serious-looking equipment in the other.  Like Hulk but dressed in blue and brought a helper with him.  In a flash (literally there were flashes during his stay), the gate was hung and straightened and welded.  I was at his shop just a few days ago and designed the gate I wanted - and it looks just like the sketch I made.  




I know his brother is a talented potter so asked him if there is another brother.  Yes, there's a middle brother - an engineer.  I'd say he was talented too.  My dad was an engineer and he was talented and artistic.  Obviously, I only got some of dad's genes since I am only a tad artistic.  He always amazed me with his drawings - usually perfectly to scale without the use of a ruler.  And he could draw ANYTHING as fast as lightning. 

Anywhoooo, getting off the topic...  Gate is hung and plumb, and definitely adds a touch of dignity to the old place.  Told him if we moved, I'd saw it off so I could take it with us.  He smiled.  I was serious!



Mom and I went tire shopping today.  She wants four so off we went.  None her size in stock, so we ordered four which we'll have  mounted and balanced tomorrow afternoon.  While we were out, we had some broasted chicken from a little hole-in-the-wall diner that doesn't look from the outside like they could make a decent hot dog!  But looks are deceiving - they cook like pros.  The chicken wing plate came with two veggies so we both chose mashed potatoes and blackeyed peas.  Came with a side of hushpuppies.  Ever so good. Yep,  I'll go back if the Lord gives me another day. 

Sweetz wants to run a few errands in the morning, so asked if I'd like to go with him and we'll catch lunch while we're out.  Oh, oh, oh, another lunch out!  Mom and I will then head out to her doc appointment and get the new tires.  Sound like it will be a full day. 

My cousin's wife died yesterday about noon so mom and I will be heading east Saturday to attend the funeral.  Poor Charles, he'll be devastated.  They were extremely close. 

No comments:

Post a Comment