Sunday, June 10, 2012

Home Again

Mom and I left Saturday morning to head east to her old stomping grounds to attend the funeral of a cousin.  It was a difficult weekend and even though it was trying in some respects, life continues on for those left behind.  We just have to pick up the pieces and continue to do our best. 

It was hot in the sandhills but thankfully there was air conditioning in the car, the houses, and the funeral home.  Now, the cemetery... it's hot as blazes there.

Mom and I drove around today to see the house where she was born, the home of several family members, and several cemeteries where many of other family members are buried.  I took lots of pictures and now I want to get them printed and organized so I can document where each of her six siblings are buried - in four different cemeteries.  Her old high school has been replaced with a new brick school, her old church burned and has been rebuilt on the property, many of the old barns and outbuildings of relatives have felt the passing of time.  It was a time of reflection plus a review of a lifetime.  I can only marvel at what she has experienced in her 90 years of life.  And she's still going strong.  Yep, I just have to marvel...   

No comments:

Post a Comment