Friday, January 21, 2011

Gramma's Skillet Wisdom

Today was sunny but cooooooold and windy.  Mom and I went to Sagebrush to eat lunch.  There was a neat Valentine display in the front counter. Even red hearts on the bottom shelf formed with two of their red cloth napkins.


The food and the service were exceptional.  We sat leisurely in a comfy booth and talked about this and that and the past and the present and the future. 


She talked alot about her future, but I told her I would be with her.  She spoke of families where the children put the elderly parent in a home, quickly sell the house and belongings and don't visit the parent.  Reassured her once again that that would NOT happen.  My brother and I will see to that.  He lives about 5 hours away, but I'm convinced he will do all he can.  Mom is healthy so far, just turned 89, but who knows what the future holds.  We can only take one day at a time and do our best.  She will have my best.

We went in some shops downtown (funny name for our 2-block "downtown") and browsed.  She found a chair and waited for me when she got tired.  Since I worked with my hot glue gun yesterday and didn't have a holder for it, the gun slipped on the floor twice, into my lap once, and burned numerous holes in the styrofoam take-out container I used on the table.  Well, decided I needed a heat-proof dish so I found one at an antique shop today - for a buck. Also found an 8" round Lodge cast iron skillet for a few bucks that just needed a good cleaning and seasoning. 

When I got home I cleaned up the dish I will use for the hot glue gun and went to see if it was a good fit.  Yep, it will be fine until I can buy a holder at a craft store (not one in our tiny town).  For a buck it will do fine in a pinch.  In fact, it may do so well, I may never get a holder for the glue gun.  Maybe I'll put that on my birthday wish list.  Along with a gizmo that is used in a car to charge up tech items - which will be useful when we travel in our RV.  Heard from a friend that they are sold at Radio Shack.  Now, we do have a RS in our little town.  

I cleaned the cast iron skillet the way Gramma M taught me (oil, sea salt, and paper towels) and it's seasoning in oil in the oven even as I write this. In fact, I'm reseasoning my square skillet at the same time.  Now, I'm on the lookout for a larger skillet. At these prices, I'll get a used one - you can't beat how they cook.  I can just see Gramma smiling through the clouds at me right now as I remember her warning: water is the enemy of a cast iron skillet.  Yes, Gramma, I remember but sometimes do it anyway.  But it doesn't pay. Hopefully, I've learned my lesson.  I'll use oil and salt from now on.  Wisdom comes with age and lots of roads traveled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment