Saturday, October 16, 2010

Road Trip

Today began and ended like a perfect fall day: a crisp morning followed by Carolina cloudless blue skies, a hint of autumn foliage, and a leisurely country drive.  Mom and I stopped at Jerry's Diner for a scrumptious broasted chicken wings platter.  Yummy, yummy.  After running a few errands, one of which was the delivery of the two tote bags I made for a local nursing center, we headed for the hills - yes, literally.  Started in the northern direction with not a care in the world, time to spare, and a full tank.  We chatted about this and that and enjoyed the drive to Anywhere.  Since there was no destination, we weren't disappointed when we arrived. 

The end of the line wound up being Philpott Lake Park near Bassett, Virginia.  Bassett is best known for the quality furniture they make in that small quaint town nestled in the hills.  A short drive takes you to the park and it's a pretty area.  Lots and lots and lots of trees and an overlook to a stunning crystal blue lake.  There wasn't much color in the trees which is quite unusual for this time of the year, but the paintbrush will come and then the colorful splendor will probably be over in a flash. But we as humans can't control the color which is in the hands of our Creator.   In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.  Gen. 1:1.  I took my camera hoping to capture some of the beauty today, but the tree colors are nearly all olive green with a token of red or a slight hint of orange occasionally.  But pictures were taken anyway.  We might go back in a couple of weeks to see how the colors have changed. 

Sweetz and I will be boarding the church van Monday for a drive to the Blue Ridge Parkway.  I doubt there's much more color there, but that's ok.  It will be fun to spend the day with some super seniors or the Golden Agers as they want to be called.  Hope I don't forget my camera.







Right after I arrived home we had an unexpected visit from a couple from church who brought a loaf of homemade bread that Mary had just popped out of her oven.  Right after they left, no moss grew under my feet as I rushed to the kitchen for a slice of the bread.  Talk about delicious --- it was beyond anything I can imagine.  I mean awesome.  Yep, I had a second slice.  I put the rest of the loaf in a plastic container so it will remain as fresh as possible.  Can't wait to have some for breakfast.  Maybe with a drizzle of honey, or blackberry preserves, or merely plain, which is an inadequate word for this fabulous bread.  Mary and her husband Charles have befriended us at church and we have found they are such wonderful people with hearts of gold.  When I grow up, I want to be just like Mary! 

No comments:

Post a Comment